B.Sc. in geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2008
Ph.D. in Geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2013
regional geography, geographic information system, environment protection, typification of Slovenia
- editor-in-chief of scientific review Acta geographica Slovenica (2020-)
- head of institute's Department for GIS (2014-2021)
- managing editor and member of editorial board of scientific review Geographical Bulletin (Geografski vestnik) (2011-2020)
- member of editorial board of scientific review Acta Geobalcanica (2015-)
- member of editorial board of book serie Geografija Slovenije (2014-)
- member of editorial board of book serie Georitem (2015-)
- coeditor of the Natural hazards (Naravne nesreče) book serie (2011-)
- member of editorial board of GIS in Slovenia (Geografski informacijski sistemi v Sloveniji) book serie (2010-)
- cartographer of Ljubljana geographical society tourist guides (Vodniki Ljubljanskega geografskega društva) book series (2009-2015)
- referee for publishing for Ljubljana geographical society (2009-2015)
- vice-president of Slovenian Young Geographers Association (Društvo mladih geografov Slovenije) (2004-2006)
- coordinator of SCGIS Scholarship program for Slovenia (2011-)
Selected presentations and lectures
- Evaluating suitability of numeric raster data layers according to landscape analysis scale: case study, NE Slovenia. Invited lecture at GIS und Fernerkundung in der Landschaftsanalyse Geokolloquium, University of Graz, Institute for geography and regional science, Graz, Austria, 12. 6. 2019
- Determination of natural landscape types at local (municipality) level with machine learning and statistical methods. Presentation at IGU conference, Krakov, Poljska, 22. 8. 2014
- Europe's landscape hotspots. Presentation at conference. EUROGEO Conference. Geography: linking tradition and future, Bruges, Belgium, 10. 5. 2013 (with D. Perko).
- Evaluating Data Layers According to the Scale of Landscape Classification. Presentation at conference. Esri European User Conference, Oslo, Norway, 16. 10. 2012
- Evaluation of digital data for determination of natural landscape types in Slovenia. Presentation at symposium. »Landscapes: perceptions, understanding, awareness and action«, Bukarest, Rašnov, Romania, 9. 4. 2011
- Podpora odločanju z GIS (Decision support with GIS). Lecture at Department of geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, 3. 11. 2011
- Uporaba odločitvenih dreves (decision trees) v geografiji (Usage of decision trees in geografija). Lecture at Department of geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, 12. 4. 2010
- Spatial Potentials for Development of Settlement System. Presentation at conference.13th Annual Conference of Society for Conservation GIS, Monterey, ZDA, 10. 7. 2010
- Ciglič, R., Čonč, Š., Breg Valjavec, M. 2022: The impact of digital elevation model preprocessing and detection methods on Karst depression mapping in densely forested Dinaric mountains. Remote Sensing 14.
- Ciglič, R., Štrumbelj, E., Češnovar, R., Hrvatin, M., Perko, D. 2019: Evaluating existing manually constructed natural landscape classification with a machine learning-based approach. Journal of Spatial Information Science 18.
- Ciglič, R., Perko, D. 2017: A method for evaluating raster data layers according to landscape classification scale. Ecological informatics 39.
- Ciglič, R., Perko, D. 2015: Modelling as a Method for Evaluating Natural Landscape Typology: The Case of Slovenia. Landscape Analysis and Planning. Heidelberg.
- Ciglič, R., Oštir, K. 2014: Application of MODIS products to analyze forest phenophases in relation to elevation and distance from sea. Journal of applied remote sensing 8-1. Bellingham.
- Ciglič, R., Perko, D. 2013: Europe's landscape hotspots. Acta geographica Slovenica/Geografski zbornik 53-1. Ljubljana.
Advancement of computationally intensive methods for efficient modern general-purpose statistical analysis and inference (aplikativni • 01. march 2016 - 28. february 2019)
CapHaz-Net (okvirni_program • 01. june 2009 - 31. may 2012)
Slovenian Exonyms (aplikativni • 01. february 2008 - 31. january 2011)
Natural landscape types of Slovenia (aplikativni • 01. may 2010 - 30. april 2013)
Possible ecological control of flood hazard in the hill regions of Hungary and Slovenia (mednarodni_raziskovalni • 01. november 2017 - 31. october 2020)
Determination of natural landscape types at local level (01. november 2013 - 30. june 2015)
Geography of Slovenia - national research programme (research programme • 01. january 2015 - 31. december 2021)
Connectivity concept in karst: the doline-cave coupling in the context of human impacts (01. september 2020 - 31. august 2023)
Avalanche hazard management using terrain classification analysis (raziskovalni • 01. september 2020 - 31. august 2023)
The impact of climate change on avalanches in Slovenia (raziskovalni • 01. october 2022 - 30. september 2025)