BSc in Geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, 2003
PhD in Geography, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana, 2008
economic geography – cultural industries, economic transformation of the city and the countryside, urban geography – small industrial towns, post-industrialism, post Fordism, transport geography – daily mobility and land use
- member of The Executive Committee and a secretary of the Association of Geographical Societies of Slovenia (2004 – 2007),
- member of the Steering committee of the biannual symposium “Slovenian regional days” (2009 onwards),
- member of the editorial board of the ‘Regional development’ series (2009 onwards),
- member of the editorial board of the ‘Geography of Slovenia’ series (2008 onwards),
- member of the editorial board and the main editor for Regional planning of the international journal Acta Geographica Slovenica (2016 onwards),
- guest editor of the Regions magazine (Regional Studies Association 2009, 2012),
- guest editor of the Special Issue in the Urban Science journal (MDPI, 2019, 2020)
- member of the International editorial advisory board at the Journal of Urban and Regional Analysis (2018– …)
- guest co-editor of the Georhythm series (2015, 2016) and guest editor of the CAPACities series (2020),
- guest co-editor of The Urban Book Series, Springer Publishing (2020)
- member of scientific board of the international conference Geographical research and cross-border cooperation within the lower basin of Danube (2014).
- member of scientific board of the CEE Regional Studies Association Conference (2021),
- member of the HERA Public Spaces International Review Panel (Humanities in the European Research Area) from 2018 onward.
Selected presentations and lectures
- Industrial culture as an agent of social innovations in industrial towns. Case study of Velenje, Slovenia. Lecture at the 5th Geography of Innovation (GEOINNO) conference in Stavanger, Norway, january 2020.
- The European Industrial Town: Understanding (post)industrial transitions through local narratives. Lecture at the EURA-UAA »City Futures IV« conference in Dublin, Ireland (June 2019).
- Assessing and planning the human settlement system in Slovenia: a preliminary report. Lecture at the Annual Conference of the Regional Studies Association (RSA) in Graz, Austria, April 2016
- Geography of daily mobility in post-socialist European countries: evidence from Slovenia. Association of American Geographers in Chicago, USA, April 2015
- Emerging transport land use changes in post-socialist urban environment: example of Slovenia. Lecture at IV. EUGEO congress 2013, Rome, Italy.
- SY_CULTour: synergy of culture and tourism. Invited lecture at the international conference Cultural values and tourism development in rural areas 2013, Heraklion, Greece.
- Studying daily commuting network in Slovenia : one country, one metropolis? Lecture at the Cities without limits 2011 Conference, Kobenhavn, Denmark.
- Bole, D. 2008: Ekonomska preobrazba slovenskih mest (Economic transformation of Slovene cities). Geografija Slovenije 19.
- Bole, D., Gabrovec, M. 2009: Dnevna mobilnost v Sloveniji (Daily mobility in Slovenia). Georitem 11.
- Bole, D., 2010: Sekundarna gospodarska središča v Ljubljani : analiza stanja in presoja načrtovanega razvoja (Secondary business districts in Ljubljana : analysis of conditions and assessment of planned development). Urbani izziv 21-1.
- Bole, D. 2011: Changes in Employee Commuting: A Comparative Analysis of Employee Commuting to Major Slovenian Employment Centers from 2000 to 2009. Acta geographica Slovenica 51-1. Ljubljana.
- Bole, D., Gabrovec, M. 2012: Daily commuters in Slovenia. Geografski vestnik 84, 1.
- Urbanc, M., Nared, J., Bole, D. 2012: Idrija : a local player on the global market. Locality, memory, reconstruction : the cultural challenges and possibilities of former single-industry communities. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Bole, D., Gabrovec, M. 2014: Geography of Daily Mobilities in Post-Socialist European Countries: Evidence from Slovenia. Mobilities in socialist and post-socialist states, Eds.: K. Burrell, K. Hörschelmann. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Bole, D. 2015: Transformation of Transportation Land Use in Slovenia. Georitem 25. Založba ZRC.
- Kozina, J., Bole, D. 2016. Creativity at the European periphery : spatial distribution and developmental implications in the Ljubljana region. Creative industries in Europe: drivers of new sectoral and spatial dynamics. Ur.: Chapain, C., Stryjakiewicz, T. Springer International Puclishing.
- Bole, D., Šmid Hribar M., Pipan P. 2017. Participatory research in community development: a case study of creating cultural tourism products. AUC Geographica 52-2.
- Kozina, J., Bole, D. 2018. The impact of territorial policies on the distribution of the creative economy: tracking spatial patterns of innovation in Slovenia. Hungarian geographical bulletin 67, 3.
- Bole, D., Kozina, J., Tiran, J. 2019: The variety of industrial towns in Slovenia: a typology of their economic performance. Bulletin of Geography, Socio-Economic Series 46.
- Bole, D., Kozina, J., Tiran, J. 2020: The socioeconomic performance of small and mediumsized industrial towns: Slovenian perspectives. Moravian geographical reports 28-1.
- Nared, J., Bole, D. (eds) 2020: Participatory research and planning in practice, (The urban book series). Cham (Switzerland): Springer Open.
CATCH_MR ( aplikativni • 01. january 2010 - 31. december 2012)
KvLUR ( trzni_projekt • 15. november 2013 - 15. january 2014)
SY_CULTour ( aplikativni • 01. march 2011 - 01. march 2014)
WIKIAlps ( aplikativni • 01. october 2013 - 31. december 2014)
RURBANCE ( aplikativni • 01. july 2013 - 30. june 2015)
Cultural landscapes caught between public good, private interests and politics ( temeljni_raziskovalni • 01. october 2014 - 30. september 2017)
SMART-MR ( interreg • 01. april 2016 - 31. march 2021)
MEDFEST ( interreg • 01. november 2016 - 31. october 2019)
Bright Future ( raziskovalni • 01. march 2017 - 01. march 2020)
Places that don’t matter? Socio-economic transformation of industrial towns in Switzerland and Slovenia ( temeljni_raziskovalni • 01. november 2020 - 31. october 2023)
Geography of Slovenia - national research programme ( research programme • 01. january 2015 - 31. december 2021)