Standardization of hydronyms in the Register of geographical namestarget research project
Project Executive on ZRCDrago Perko, PhD
Standardizacija hidronimov v Registru zemljepisnih imen
CollaboratorsDrago Perko, PhD, Matjaž Geršič, PhD, Jure Tičar, PhD, Mauro Hrvatin, PhD, Matija Zorn, PhD, Helena Dobrovoljc, PhD, Metka Furlan, PhD
Durationsince September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2024
The project analyzes hydronyms in the Register of Geographical Names, which is the largest database of geographical names in Slovenia and is managed by the Surveying and Mapping Authority of the Republic of Slovenia. The project treats them as part of the Slovenian cultural heritage and determines their geographical and linguistic adequacy. On the basis of international and Slovenian standardization rules and in cooperation with Slovenian municipalities as stakeholders co-responsible for geographical names in their territory, it prepares a standardization document with hydronyms, as required by the Commission for Standardization of Geographical Names of the Government of the Republic of Slovenia.
By standardizing hydronimes within this project, Slovenia is implementing United Nations resolutions on geographical names and strengthening the role of geographical names as an important part of the country's cultural heritage. Uniform and unambiguous use of geographical names simplifies work at all levels of education and facilitates the work and life of ordinary people in all areas where they come into contact with geographical names (school, documents, maps, travel, communication and the like).
The implementation of the project is divided into 6 semi-annual periods in accordance with the content of the work program:
- Period 1 (September 2021 to February 2022): creation of a database of hydonyms from the Register of Geographical Names, suitable for the further process of their standardization, and preparation of related relevant cartographic bases;
- 2nd period (from March 2022 to August 2022): first, faster verification of the linguistic and geographical suitability of hydronyms;
- 3rd period (from September 2022 to February 2023): sending inspected hydronyms by municipalities for possible additions and corrections, constant communication with municipalities;
- 4th period (from March 2023 to August 2023): updating of the database of hydronyms with corrections of municipalities;
- 5th period (from September 2023 to February 2024): a second, more detailed check of the linguistic and geographical suitability of hydronyms and the resolution of disputed names;
- 6th period (from March 2024 to August 2024): preparation of a standardization document with a database of hydronyms, suitable for the start of standardization within the Commission for Standardization of Geographical Names of the Government of the Republic of Slovenia.